100% Palestine blogger

Palestine Blogs - The Gazette

Sunday, February 13, 2011

The removal of a Dictator and ongoing celebrations

I woke yesterday morning to a very cold frosty, yet sunny day, my very first thought was did it really happen? Partly awake and partly asleep, my brain couldn’t actually work out if the news that Mubarak had stepped down was real or some kind of hopeful dream.

Immediately, I turned on my TV for confirmation, partly fearing that it was only a dream after all.
It seemed an eternity before my ageing TV set warmed up, then a fuzzy pictured started to form, reaching for the remote control unit, I actually felt myself tremble. Finally, I searched for ALJAZEERA and there it was confirmation that it was not just a dream.

The presenter proclaimed, “Celebrations went on throughout the night in Tahrir square, on hearing of the resignation of FORMER President Mubarak”.

I think I sat for about three or four minutes stunned, then I could feel my eyes welling up, embarrassed I covertly wiped the tears from my eyes, hoping that they had not been seen by friends staying with me at my home. I went off to have a shower and my morning cup of fresh coffee, after exiting the bathroom and heading for the kitchen, I heard a commotion of sorts from my living room.
I flipped the switch on my coffee maker and proceeded to the living room, where three male and two female friends were hugging each other and celebrating, as I panned across the room I couldn’t actually find one person, Male or Female without tears on their cheeks or surrounding their eyes.


We live far from Egypt and none of us are Egyptian, however we have spent almost every free moment of every day either watching Aljazeera or Tweeting about Egypt, eagerly waiting for news of friends and contacts made via Twitter and Face book.

I do not wish to offend anybody either in Egypt or from Egypt, but in the past eighteen days both my friends and I have become Egyptians. We have laughed, cried, smiled and celebrated along with our Brothers and Sisters in Egypt. Most of all we feel very proud of what the people of Egypt have achieved.

News has broken that Mr Obama has sent his respects to the Pro-democracy demonstrators in Tahrir Square,

along with congratulations from the UN, EU and leaders of individual countries around the world. Finally the powers that be have decided to take a side in this revolution to free Egypt, albeit after the fact.

There are already rumours that the US is sending its top Army Official to reassure the leaders of government in Israel that things are going to stay the same between the Israeli State and Egypt.







Photos:
Mubarak: Courtesy of ALJAZEERA
Celebrations: Courtesy of ALJAZEERA
President Obama: Conservative Watch News.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment